'It's Fun being a Girl... Great being a Woman!'- Synett Stewart



Saturday, July 3, 2010

Curls Unite!

 As I was walking to my car the other day I happened to catch a glimpse of this beautiful head of curls bouncing along to the vehicle a few spaces down. When she turned she saw me and we smiled in appreciation of each other's spiraled tresses.

 It's almost as if in those few seconds there was an exchange of understanding, empathy and encouragement.
Understanding, that she too:
*has a million products in her shower that fight frizz, lock in moisture, define curls, add shine etc...
*is terrified to get a trim
*constantly has to unclog the drain in the tub/shower
*is thrilled beyond words when the hair behaves as it's supposed to because you finally found the perfect product or cocktail of products
Empathy, that she too:
*is teased for going against the norm
*has random people ask, 'is that all your hair?', 'did you get a perm?', 'can I touch it?' (the more touching the more frizz)
*suffered through the grow-out process
*has shed numerous tears over a bad haircut
Encouragement:
Rock those curls! They are a beautiful part of the many different forms style can come in!

 Yes, her hair was pretty and so was mine and I walked a little taller that day. I hope she did as well!

3 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite post yet. I loved it! I too am a member of the curly hair community, and I too shall rock my curls and stand up taller. Thank you Synette...curl power!
    n. joslin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely! Your curls are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog Synette, and I definitely relate to this post. When you spot someone with curly hair this radar pops up and I can't wait to ask what products are being used or to share the ones I use and like. I love it when women own their tresses and don't stess out trying to conform to what we've been told is the norm.

    ReplyDelete